New York Boat Registration HIN Check
New York Boat Registration HIN Lookup
New York boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of New York. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in New York along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in NY.
Where are New York Boats Registered?
Remember that some states have titling for boats and others do not. New York issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction since 1987. These are administered by the NY STATE DMV. This state does not issue titles or registrations for outboard motors but note that Boat trailer registration and titling would be mandatory for those weighing over 1,000 lbs.
Did you know that 570,000 boats registered in the State of New York make up 4% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Volume of Recreational boating vessels in the U.S.
New York Boat Registration Numbers
New York boat registration numbers begin with a “NY“. The NY designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the WY boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “NYZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in New York unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In New York
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
New York Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in New York are maintained by the Department of Licensing. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website but you can search the boat-alert.com database
New York Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 70+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in New York
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/1987
- VESSEL TYPES: Model year 1987 and newer, and at least 14 feet long, and registered in New York State.
- EXEMPTIONS: Vessels that are not required to be titled, as well as vessels documents with the United States Coast Guard (USCG).
- FEES: $50
- DUPLICATE FEE: $20
- TRANSFER FEE: $50
- VESSEL TYPES: All motorboats
- EXEMPTIONS: Your boat is exempt from NYS registration if it is: 1) non-motorized; 2) a lifeboat; 3) registered in another state and not kept in New York for more than 90 consecutive days; 4) a commercial boat with either U.S. or foreign documentation; 5) a boat racing in competition.
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 90 consecutive days.
- FEES: 1) Less than 16 feet – $26.25; 2) 16 feet but less than 26 feet – $57.50; 3) 26 feet or longer – $93.75
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $2.00
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE: Prorated amount of original registration fee.
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in New York
- boat title search NY
- New York boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in New York
- New York boat title search by hull number
- check a boat’s title problems online
- find a boat registration search service in New York
- find boat New York titles from HIN Number
- free vessel registration title search for New York
- how to check boat registration numbers In New York
- vessel registration and HIN search in New York
- Where are New York Vessels Registered
- New York Boat Registration Numbers
- Boat Liens Database In New York
- Boat New York Lookup
- Boat title and registration records in #NewYork
- Boat Title Searches in NY
- boat hin lookup
Read Related Articles:
- Alaska Boat Registration: All you need to know Now
- Boat Alert History Report Subscription Service For Dealers & Brokers Launched
- A Guide to Contacting Boat-Alert Customer Support
- Budgeting Your “Boat Dollars”
- Rhode Island Boat Registration
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat vin number search visit: www.Boat-Alert.com