Ohio Boat Registration and Boat Titles
Ohio Boat Registration History Report
Ohio boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Ohio. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in Ohio along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in OH.
Where are Ohio Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Ohio issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the Ohio Department of natural resources (DNR) in Columbus. Titling is required on outboard motors with 10hp or more. Boat trailer registration is required in Ohio. Titling is required except for non-commercial trailers under 4,000 lbs. .
Did you know that 587,000 boats registered in the State of Ohio make up 4.5% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Volume of Recreational boating vessels in the U.S.
Ohio Boat Registration Numbers
Ohio boat registration numbers begin with a “OH“. The OH designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the OH boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “OHZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Ohio unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Ohio
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the DNR in OH. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Ohio Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in Ohio are maintained by the DNR. This agency does facilitate online searches on their website and you can search the boat-alert.com database as well.
Ohio Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 72+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Ohio
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/1964
- VESSEL TYPES: Outboards ≥ 10HP; Watercraft ≥ 14ft; Watercraft < 14ft but with a mechanical means of propulsion ≥ 10HP.
- EXEMPTIONS: documented through the coast guard and Canoes and Kayaks
- FEES: Certificate- $15; Duplicate- $15; Replacement – $15; Memorandum – $5; Late Fee (>30 days) – $5; Title, Lien, and Memorandum all together- $15
- DUPLICATE FEE: $15
- TRANSFER FEE: N/A
- VESSEL TYPES: All that is 2 cells or more
- EXEMPTIONS: Government- State Entity owned example State Owned schools; Also paddleboards, float tubes and ship’s life boat
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 60 days for titled boats; non-titled boat is immediately required
- FEES: Any Length Canoe/Kayak hand power Traditional $20.00, Alternative $25.00; Any Length Canoe/Kayak motorized $33.00; Less than16 feet $33.00; 16-26 feet $48.00; 26-40 feet $63.00; 40-65 feet $78.00; 65 feet or longer $93.00. Add $5.00 to each length category if it is a sail only vessel.
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $4
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $4
- TRANSFER FEE: $5.00 with time remaining otherwise a free transfer.
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Ohio
- boat title search OH
- Ohio boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in Ohio
- Ohio boat title search by hull number
- check a boat’s title problems online
- find a boat registration search service in Ohio
- find boat Ohio titles from HIN Number
- free vessel registration title search for Ohio
- how to check boat registration numbers In Ohio
- vessel registration and HIN search in Ohio
- Where are Ohio Vessels Registered
- Ohio Boat Registration Numbers
- Boat Liens Database In Ohio
- Boat Ohio Lookup
- Boat title and registration records in #Ohio
- Boat Title Searches in OH
- boat vin check
- boat hin lookup
Read Related Articles:
- Arizona Boat Registration – Need to know facts in AZ boating
- How to Register a Boat in Canada | Update 2022
- Sea Doo VIN Lookup (Jet Ski & PWC HIN Lookup)
- Maine Boat Registration
- How to Register a Boat in New Brunswick | Vessel Licensing and Registration in New Brunswick
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat title lien search service visit: www.Boat-Alert.com