Minnesota Boat Registration
Minnesota Boat Title HIN Lookup
Minnesota boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Minnesota. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in Minnesota along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in MN.
Where are Minnesota Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Minnesota issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the MN STATE Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Outboard motors are not titled or registered in this state. Registration is required for boat trailers in Minnesota. Titling is required on those weighing over 4,500 lbs. or when a lien is present. It is optional on all other boat trailers.
Does Minnesota have clean titles? Boat titles are always “clean” unless a state has enacted UCOTVA. All other states will not have any indication on the title that the boat has a salvage or total loss brand like cars have on their titles.
Did you know that 850,000 boats registered in the State of Minnesota make up 7% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Volume of Recreational boating vessels in the U.S.
Minnesota Boat Registration Numbers
Minnesota boat registration numbers begin with a “MN”. The MN designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above, if your boat is not documented at the USCG. Put the MN boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “MNZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Minnesota unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other locations on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Minnesota
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in MN. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Minnesota Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in Minnesota are maintained by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website but you can search the boat-alert.com database.
Minnesota Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 72+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Minnesota
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/1991
- VESSEL TYPES: Greater than 16′ and 1980 or newer are required to be titled. Also, any boat issued title in another state. Other boats it’s optional if owner wishes to title.
- EXEMPTIONS: canoe, kayaks, rowing shells, ships lifeboats, row boat with oar locks, documented vessels, waterfowl boats, wild rice boats
- FEES: New title $22.00 Corrected title $17.00 Transfer title $17.00 Add lienholder $17.00 Duplicate title $11.00 Lien Reassignment $8.00
- DUPLICATE FEE: Duplicate title $11.00
- TRANSFER FEE: Title transfer $17.00
- VESSEL TYPES: Any motorized watercraft and any watercraft greater than 10′ in length
- EXEMPTIONS: non-motorized watercraft 10′ or less
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: No
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 90 days
- FEES: Length Fee 14′ or less $23.00 14′ – 17′ 11″ $28.00 18′ $33.00 18′ 1″- 19′ 0″ $35.00 19′ 1″ – 20′ 0″ $37.00 20′ 1″ – 21′ 0′ $39.00 21′ 1″ – 22′ 0′ $41.00 22′ 1′- 23′ 0″$43.00 23′ 1″ – 24′ 0″ $45.00 24′ 1″- 25′ 0″$47.00 25′ 1″ – 26′ 0″ $49.00 26′ 1″ – 27′ 0″ $51.00 27′ 1″ – 28′ 0″ $53.00 28′ 1″ – 29′ 0″ $55.00 29′ 1″ – 30′ 0″ $57.00 30′ 1″ – 31′ 0″ $59.00 31′ 1″ – 32′ 0″ $61.00 32′ 1″ – 33′ 0″ $63.00 33′ 1″ – 34′ 0″ $65.00 34′ 1″ – 35′ 0″ $67.00 35′ 1″ – 36′ 0″ $69.00 36′ 1″ – 37′ 0″ $71.00 37′ 1′ – 38′ 0″ $73.00 for each foot thereafter add $2.00 per foot
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: Duplicate registration $10.50
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: Duplicate decal $6.00
- TRANSFER FEE: Transfer $13.00
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Minnesota
- boat title search MN
- Minnesota boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in Minnesota
- Minnesota boat title search by hull number
- Boat Title Searches in MN
- boat vin checki n Minnesota
- boat hin lookup in Minnesota
Read Related Articles:
- Massachusetts Boat Registration
- All you need to know about stolen boats (Ultimate guide)
- North Dakota Boat Registration
- Colorado Boat Registration Search
- New Mexico Boat Registration | HIN Check
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat ownership visit: www.Boat-Alert.com