Maryland Boat Registration
Maryland Boat Registration HIN Check
Maryland boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Maryland. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in Maryland along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in MD.
Where are Maryland Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Maryland issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the MD STATE Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Outboard motors are not titled or registered in Maryland. Boat trailers are registered and titled.
Does Maryland have clean titles? Boat titles are always “clean” unless a state has enacted UCOTVA. All other states will not have any indication on the title that the boat has a salvage or total loss brand like cars have on their titles.
Did you know that 200,000 boats registered in the State of Maryland make up 2% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Volume of Recreational boating vessels in the U.S.
Maryland Boat Registration Numbers
Maryland boat registration numbers begin with a “MD”. The MD designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above, if your boat is not documented at the USCG. Put the MD boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “MDZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Maryland unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other locations on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Maryland
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in MD. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Maryland Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in Maryland are maintained by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website but you can search the boat-alert.com database.
Maryland Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 72+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Maryland
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 7/1/1965
- VESSEL TYPES: All vessels that will require registration must be titled. Any vessel using power of any kind
- EXEMPTIONS: Vessels that are USCG Documented
- FEES: $2
- DUPLICATE FEE: $2
- TRANSFER FEE: 5% excise tax plus $2.00 title fee
- VESSEL TYPES: Any vessel using power
- EXEMPTIONS: Vessels that are manually powered
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: If your vessel was purchased elsewhere or previously registered in another jurisdiction, is now in Maryland waters, and will use Maryland waters a majority of the calendar year, you ARE liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of entering Maryland waters. If your vessel is duly registered in another jurisdiction but remains in Maryland waters more than 90 days in a calendar year, you MAY be liable for vessel excise tax unless you can prove principal use (as defined above) in another jurisdiction.
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: Registration Card replacement is $0
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE: MD does not transfer registration. Must be completed with title transfer
- LATE FEE: Penalty and interest are due when excise tax has not been paid within 30 days of Maryland tax liability. Penalty 10% of excise tax Interest 1.5% per month
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Maryland
- boat title search MD
- Maryland boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in Maryland
- Maryland boat title search by hull number
- Boat Title Searches in MD
- Maryland boat vin check
- Maryland boat hin lookup
Read Related Articles:
- Used Boats: Water Intrusion and Moisture Meters
- Budgeting Your “Boat Dollars”
- District of Columbia Boat Registration – DC boat search
- Free Boat History Check Report | DIY Free Boat HIN Lookup
- Different Kinds of Boat Surveys [Ultimate List]
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat registration number lookup visit: www.Boat-Alert.com