Idaho Boat Registration
Idaho Boat Titles and VIN Check
Idaho boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Idaho.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boat in Idaho along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in Idaho.
Where are Idaho Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Idaho issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the ID STATE Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) in Boise. This state does not issue titles or registrations for outboard motors but note that Boat trailer registration and titling would be mandatory for those weighing over 2,000 lbs and taken care of by the DMV.
Did you know that 89,000 boats are registered in the State of Idaho & make up 0.7% of all USA vessel registrations?
Idaho Boat Registration Numbers
Idaho boat registration numbers begin with a “ID”. The ID designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the ID boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “IDZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Idaho unless there is a discrepancy.
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Idaho
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION in ID. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Idaho Boat Registration Number Search Website
Boat title and registration records in Idaho are maintained by the DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website.
Idaho Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 68+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Idaho
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/00
- VESSEL TYPES: When any of the following vessels are acquired after December 31, 1999, the new owners are required to title them: • Any vessel with a permanently attached mode of propulsion, model year 2000 or newer. Examples: model year 2000 inboard and inboard/outboard motorboats, sailboats, and personal watercraft (jet skis). • Any non-exempt vessel, model year 2000 or newer, over 12′ in length, regardless of the mode of propulsion. Example: model year 2000 13′ outboard. • Any non-exempt vessel that is being financed. VESSELS THAT MAY BE OPTIONALLY TITLED: All types of vessels listed in the “vessels that must be titled” category that were acquired prior to January 1, 2000 may optionally be titled. These types of vessels (model year 1999 or older) may be optionally titled unless they are being financed, in which case they must be titled. Once a vessel has been titled, every subsequent Idaho owner must also title it in his name.
- EXEMPTIONS: The following types of vessels are exempt and cannot be titled: rowboats (manually propelled by oars), canoes, kayaks, drift boats, inflatable vessels, rafts, barges, non-motorized paddle vessels, sailboards, tenders, seaplanes, documented vessels, vessels owned by the U.S. or a foreign state or political subdivision, and outboard motorboats 12 feet or less in length.
- FEES: Vessels 12 feet and under are $30. Vessels over 12 feet are $30, plus $2 per foot for each additional foot. There is also a $1.50 vendor fee included in the total cost. These fees cover one calendar year and all boat registrations expire December 31. In addition, boats registered in Idaho are required to pay an additional $10 surcharge for the Idaho Invasive Species Sticker. For convenience, this $10 surcharge for the Idaho Invasive Species Sticker is included in the annual boat registration renewal fees and a separate sticker is not required for boats registered in Idaho.
- DUPLICATE FEE: $14.00 (include additional $7.00 if both the HIN and Title Number are not known; include additional $26.00 for RUSH service).
- TRANSFER FEE:
- VESSEL TYPES: Anything with a motor or sail
- EXEMPTIONS: Non-motorized and government entities
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: No
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 60 days
- FEES: Boats 12′ and under $30.00 Boats over 12′ add $2.00 per foot
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $3.00 includes sticker
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $3.00 includes registration
- TRANSFER FEE: $3
- LATE FEE: No
Download the Presentation Idaho-Boat-Registration.pptx
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Idaho,
- Idaho boat registration number lookup website,
- boat title lien search service in Idaho
- Idaho boat title search by hull number,
- check a boats title problems online,
- find a boat registration search service in Idaho,
- find boat Idaho titles from HIN Number,
- free vessel registration title search for Idaho,
- how to check boat registration numbers In Idaho,
- vessel registration and HIN search in Idaho,
- Where are Idaho Vessels Registered,
- Idaho Boat Registration Numbers,
- Boat Liens Database In Idaho,
- Boat Idaho Lookup,
- Boat title and registration records in #Idaho,
- Boat Title Searches in ID
Read Related Articles:
- Tennessee Boat Registration
- What is BoatUS Foundation?
- Why you need a Bill of Sale for your Boat or Jetski
- Everything you need to know about NMMA Certified Boat Manufacturers
- How long do boats last?
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and search vessels visit: www.Boat-Alert.com