Rhode Island Boat Registration
Table of Contents
Rhode Island Boat Registration HIN Check
Rhode Island boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Rhode Island. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in Rhode Island along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in RI.
Where are Rhode Island Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Rhode Island issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the RI STATE Department of Environmental Management (DEM). This state registers outboard motors but does not issue titles. Registration is required on all boat trailers in Rhode Island. Titling is required on all 1973 and later year models weighing over 3,000 lbs.
Did you know that 154,000 boats registered in the State of Rhode Island make up 1% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Number of Recreational boats in the U.S.
Rhode Island Boat Registration Numbers
Rhode Island boat registration numbers begin with a “RI”. The RI designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above, if your boat is not documented at the USCG. Put the RI boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “RIZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Rhode Island unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other locations on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Rhode Island
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the DEM in RI. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Rhode Island Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in Rhode Island are maintained by the RI DEM. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website but you can search the boat-alert.com database.
Rhode Island Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 70+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Rhode Island
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/1989
- VESSEL TYPES: Vessels larger than 14′, regardless of propulsion or year of manufacture
- EXEMPTIONS: USCG Doc vessels & vessels 14′ in length or less
- FEES: Initial Title fee $25.00 Bank Lien Fee $15.00 in addition to title fee Dupl Title/Transfer Fee $5.00
- DUPLICATE FEE: $5.00 for duplicate $20.00 for duplicate with Bank Lien
- TRANSFER FEE: $5
- VESSEL TYPES: All motorized vessels as well as boats larger than 12′, regardless of propulsion
- EXEMPTIONS: Houseboats, canoes & kayaks (non motorized)
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: Vessels require RI registration if in RI in excess of 90 days
- FEES: $32. boats 1-15′ $42. boats 16-20′ $108. boats 26-30′ $212. boats 31-35′ $264. boats 36-40′ $316. boats 41-45′ $418. boats 46-50′ $620. boats 50+
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: 5
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $2
- TRANSFER FEE: $5.00 for one year transfer $10.00 for two year transfer
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Rhode Island
- boat title search RI
- Rhode Island boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island boat title search by hull number
- check a boat’s title problems online
- find a boat registration search service in Rhode Island
- find boat Rhode Island titles from HIN Number
- free vessel registration title search for Rhode Island
- how to check boat registration numbers In Rhode Island
- vessel registration and HIN search in Rhode Island
- Where are Rhode Island Vessels Registered
- Rhode Island Boat Registration Numbers
- Boat Liens Database In Rhode Island
- Boat Rhode Island Lookup
- Boat title and registration records in Rhode Island
- Boat Title Searches in RI
- boat vin check in RI
- boat hin lookup in RI
Read Related Articles:
- The 23 Best Annual Boat Shows by Month and Location
- California Boat Registration
- Best Marine Surveyors in Nashville
- Virginia Boat Registration
- 2023 Best Boat Brands in USA – Top boat Brands You Want to Own
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat lien search visit: www.Boat-Alert.com