Oklahoma Boat Registration
Oklahoma Boat Registration HIN Check
Oklahoma boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Oklahoma. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in Oklahoma along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in OK.
Where are Oklahoma Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Oklahoma issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Commission (OMVC) in Oklahoma City. Boat trailer registration and titling are not required in Oklahoma.
Did you know that 200,000 boats registered in the State of Oklahoma make up 1.6% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Volume of Recreational boating vessels in the U.S.
Oklahoma Boat Registration Numbers
Oklahoma boat registration numbers begin with a “OK”. The OK designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above, if your boat is not documented at the USCG. Put the OK boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “OKZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Oklahoma unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other locations on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Oklahoma
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Commission (OMVC) in OK. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Oklahoma Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in Oklahoma are maintained by the OMVC. This agency does facilitate online searches on their website.
Oklahoma Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 72+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Oklahoma
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/1990
- VESSEL TYPES: All vessels unless otherwise exempted.
- EXEMPTIONS: 1) A boat or outboard motor owned by the United States Government; 2) A boat or outboard motor owned by a state other than Oklahoma, or any agency or subdivision of that state, provided the boat/motor is not used for recreational or rental purposes on the waters of this state; 3) A boat or outboard motor owned by a visiting non-resident that is currently registered in another state and which does not remain in Oklahoma in excess of sixty (60) days; 4) A boat or outboard motor from another country that does not remain in Oklahoma in excess of sixty (60) days; 5) A boat used exclusively and solely as a lifeboat; 6) A boat used exclusively and solely for racing purposes; 7) A boat or outboard motor used exclusively on private waters; 8) Canoes, Kayaks and Pedal Boats are exempt from title and registration requirements, unless they are powered by any means other than human power. Or they may be titled and registered upon the owners request for identification purposes or proof of ownership.
- DUPLICATE FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE: When transferring ownership the fees include the title fee of $2.25, excise tax, on new boats or outboard motors the excise tax is 3.25% of the manufacturer’s original retail price. The taxable value (value against which 3.25% is assessed) of the boat/outboard motor decreases 35% each year, until a maximum taxable value of $250.00 is reached. The year rate of excise tax to assess is determined by counting the model year as year one and adding each year, up to and including the year of ownership assignment.
- VESSEL TYPES: All vessels unless otherwise exempted.
- EXEMPTIONS: Canoes, Kayaks and Paddle Boats are exempt from title and registration requirements, unless they are powered by any means other than human power. Or upon the request of the owner for identification or proof of ownership.
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Documented vessels are required to be currently registered by Oklahoma residents and titling and registration is required to be completed within 30 days of date of purchase.
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: Registration is required is within 30 days within date of purchase. Non-resident vessels remaining in Oklahoma are required to be registered in Oklahoma after remaining within the territorial limits of OK for 60 CALENDAR Days.
- FEES: Registration fees are based on a combination of the manufacturer’s original retail price and the number of years registered. For example the lowest annual fee based off a retail price of $150.00 or less would be $3.25, the maximum fee would be $151.00. Owners have the option of a one (1) to three (3) year option to register their boat/outboard motor.
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE:
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE: Upon transfer of ownership, additional fees for the remainder of the registration period will be charged.
- LATE FEE: Penalty on renewal begins August 1, the penalty accrues at 25¢ per day for a period of three (3) months. On November 1, a $25.00 penalty is due. However, the penalty will never exceed an amount equal to the registration fee less $2.25.
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Oklahoma
- boat title search OK
- Oklahoma boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma boat title search by hull number
- check a boat’s title problems online
- find a boat registration search service in Oklahoma
- find boat Oklahoma titles from HIN Number
- free vessel registration title search for Oklahoma
- how to check boat registration numbers In Oklahoma
- vessel registration and HIN search in Oklahoma
- Where are Oklahoma Vessels Registered
- Oklahoma Boat Registration Numbers
- Boat Liens Database In Oklahoma
- Boat Oklahoma Lookup
- Boat title and registration records in Oklahoma
- Boat Title Searches in OK
- boat vin check
- boat hin lookup
Read Related Articles:
- Discontinued Boat Manufacturers List
- Boat Title Search In Your State
- 70 Funniest Boating Memes
- Kentucky Boat Registration
- How Do You Read a Hull ID Number (HIN)?
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat history visit: www.Boat-Alert.com