Utah Boat Registration
Table of Contents
Utah Boat Registration HIN Check
Utah boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Utah. We also cover the titling fees if applicable.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in Utah along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in UT.
Where are Utah Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Utah issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the Utah State Tax Commission Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Outboard motors 1985 or newer with 25 or more horsepower are titled but registration certificates are not issued. Titling and registration are required for boat trailers unless it is a single axle less than 750 lbs. unladed weight. They are optional for those weighing less.
Does Utah have clean titles? Boat titles are always “clean” unless a state has enacted UCOTVA. All other states will not have any indication on the title that the boat has a salvage or total loss brand like cars have on their titles.
Did you know that 160,000 boats registered in the State of Utah make up 1% of all USA vessel registrations?
For more boating statistics see: Volume of Recreational boating vessels in the U.S.
Utah Boat Registration Numbers
Utah boat registration numbers begin with a “UT”. The UT designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above, if your boat is not documented at the USCG. Put the UT boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “UTZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Utah unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other locations on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Utah
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Utah State Tax Commission Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Utah Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in Utah are maintained by the DMV. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website but you can search the boat-alert.com database.
Utah Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 72+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Utah
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/1985
- VESSEL TYPES: 26 HP and 1985 and newer
- EXEMPTIONS: 25 Hp and 1984 and older
- FEES: $6
- DUPLICATE FEE: $6
- TRANSFER FEE: $6
- VESSEL TYPES: Motor and sail boat
- EXEMPTIONS: Human powered
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 60 days
- FEES: $43.50 plus county fees, please see the Utah Tax Commission website
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $4
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $3
- TRANSFER FEE: This is an ownership transfer and subject to the fees state above.
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Utah
- boat title search UT
- Utah boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in Utah
- Utah boat title search by hull number
- check a boat’s title problems online
- find a boat registration search service in Utah
- find boat Utah titles from HIN Number
- free vessel registration title search for Utah
- how to check boat registration numbers In Utah
- vessel registration and HIN search in Utah
- Where are Utah Vessels Registered
- Utah Boat Registration Numbers
- Boat Liens Database In Utah
- Boat Utah Lookup
- Boat title and registration records in Utah
- Boat Title Searches in UT
- UTAH boat vin check
- boat hin lookup
Read Related Articles:
- How to obtain a HIN number on a boat? (State-assigned Hull ID)
- Michigan Boat Registration
- Connecticut Boat Registration
- How to Register a Boat in Quebec | Vessel Licensing and Registration in Quebec
- What is a Boat Transcript of Registry? | Canadian Vessel Transcripts Explained
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat hin search visit: www.Boat-Alert.com