Vermont Boat Registration
Vermont Boat Registration History Report
Vermont boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Vermont.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boat in Vermont along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in VT. Download this page as PDF here.
Where are Vermont Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Vermont issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the VT STATE Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Cheyenne. This state does not issue titles or registrations for outboard motors but note that Boat trailer registration and titling would be mandatory for those weighing over 1,500 lbs.
Did you know that boats registered in the State of Vermont make up 0.2% of all USA vessel registrations?
Vermont Boat Registration Numbers
Vermont boat registration numbers begin with a “VT”. The VT designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the VT boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “VTZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Vermont unless there is a discrepancy.
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Vermont
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the DMV in VT. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Vermont Boat Registration Number Search Website
Boat title and registration records in Vermont are maintained by the Department of Licensing. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website.
Vermont Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 53+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Vermont
- REQUIRED: Yes EFFECTIVE DATE : 1/1/89
- VESSEL TYPES: Vermont titles vessels that are 15 years old or newer, based on calendar year, with a length of 16 ft. or longer (including shuttlecraft). Example: from 1/1/2015 – 12/31/2015 Vermont will title all vessels with model year 2000 or newer, with a length of 16 ft. or longer. 1. Any vessel which is a canoe, kayak, or similar watercraft designed to be manually propelled or such a vessel equipped with a motor of 10 horsepower or less. 2. Any vessel regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of persons or property for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in another state. 3. Any vessel owned by the United States Government, unless it is registered in this state. 4. Any vessel owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale.
- EXEMPTIONS: 1. Any vessel which is a canoe, kayak, or similar watercraft designed to be manually propelled or such a vessel equipped with a motor of 10 horsepower or less. 2. Any vessel regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of persons or property for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in another state. 3. Any vessel owned by the United States Government, unless it is registered in this state. 4. Any vessel owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale.
- FEES: $22
- DUPLICATE FEE: $22
- TRANSFER FEE: $22
- VESSEL TYPES: All vessels with motors
- EXEMPTIONS: Vessels without motors.
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 30 days
- FEES: <16′ $31.00 16′ – 25′ 11″ $49.00 26′ – <40′ $80.00 40′ And Over $153.00
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $3
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $0
- TRANSFER FEE:
- LATE FEE: No
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Read Related Articles:
- How to Register a Boat in Manitoba | Vessel Licensing and Registration in Manitoba
- California Boat Registration
- Boat Specs by HIN
- Oklahoma Boat Registration
- Jet Ski Bill Of Sale [Important Facts!]
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and best boat history report visit: www.Boat-Alert.com