Alabama Boat Registration
Alabama Boat Registration History Report
Alabama boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Alabama.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boat in Alabama along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in AL.
Where are Alabama Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Alabama only issues registrations and not titles for boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the AL STATE Marine Patrol Division (AMP) in Montgomery. This state does not issue titles or registrations for outboard motors or Boat trailer.
Did you know that boats registered in the State of Alabama make up 2.1% of all USA vessel registrations?
Alabama Boat Registration Numbers
Alabama boat registration numbers begin with a “AL”. The AL designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the AL boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “ALZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Alabama unless there is a discrepancy.
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Alabama
Security interests in state titled boats are not recorded since Alabama does not title boat. You can check the USCG documents or the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Alabama Boat Registration Number Search Website
Boat title and registration records in Alabama are maintained by the Department of Licensing. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website.
Alabama Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 72+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Alabama
- REQUIRED: No EFFECTIVE DATE :
- VESSEL TYPES: N/A
- EXEMPTIONS: N/A
- FEES: N/A
- DUPLICATE FEE: N/A
- TRANSFER FEE: N/A
- VESSEL TYPES: Every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane, capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water, but such term shall not include vessels 12 feet in length or less when used solely on farm ponds of less than 50 acres in size.
- EXEMPTIONS: (1) A vessel operating under valid temporary certificate or number; (2) Already covered by a number in full force and effect which has been awarded to it pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state; provided, that such vessel shall not have been within this state for a period in excess of 90 consecutive days; (3) A vessel under registry from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this state; (4) A vessel owned by the United States, or a state, county or municipality; (5) A ship’s lifeboat; or (6) A vessel not propelled by machinery, except sail boats and boats for hire.
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: If in the state over 90 consececutive days
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 90 days
- FEES: “CLASS 1. Less than 16 feet in length, eighteen dollars ($18) plus a two dollar ($2) issuance fee. CLASS 2. Sixteen feet or over and less than 26 feet in length, twenty-three dollars ($23) plus a two dollar ($2) issuance fee. CLASS 3. Twenty-six feet or over and less than 40 feet in length, seventy-three dollars ($73) plus a two dollar ($2) issuance fee. CLASS 4. Forty feet or over in length, ninety-eight dollars ($98) plus a two dollar ($2) issuance fee. The above stated fees shall also apply to livery boats. CLASS 5. Dealer or manufacturer; temporary license, twenty-three dollars ($23) plus a two dollar ($2) issuance fee for each license. (b) In addition to the foregoing fees, there shall be an inspection fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) for all homemade boats which require a hull identification number.”
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE:
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE:
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Alabama,
- Alabama boat registration number lookup website,
- boat title lien search service in Alabama
- Alabama boat title search by hull number,
- check a boats title problems online,
- find a boat registration search service in Alabama,
- find boat Alabama titles from HIN Number,
- free vessel registration title search for Alabama,
- how to check boat registration numbers In Alabama,
- vessel registration and HIN search in Alabama,
- Where are Alabama Vessels Registered,
- Alabama Boat Registration Numbers,
- Boat Liens Database In Alabama,
- Boat Alabama Lookup,
- Boat title and registration records in #Alabama,
- Boat Title Searches in AL
Read Related Articles:
- How to Register a Boat in Alberta | Vessel Licensing and Registration in Alberta
- South Dakota Boat Registration
- What is a Boat Transcript of Registry? | Canadian Vessel Transcripts Explained
- Arizona Boat Registration – Need to know facts in AZ boating
- This is how you select the Right Personal Water Craft (PWC)
Get this article as PDF for your records here: https://www.boat-alert.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Alabama-Boat-Registration-_-Boat-Alert-Blog.pdf
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and free boat hin lookup visit: www.Boat-Alert.com