New Mexico Boat Registration | HIN Check
New Mexico Boat Registration History Report
New Mexico boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of New Mexico.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boats in New Mexico along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in NM.
Where are New Mexico Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. New Mexico issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the NM STATE Motor Vehicle Division in Santa Fe. This state does not issue titles or registrations for outboard motors but note that Boat trailer registration and titling would be mandatory.
Did you know that 32,000 boats registered in the State of New Mexico make up 0.3% of all USA vessel registrations?
New Mexico Boat Registration Numbers
New Mexico boat registration numbers begin with a “NM“. The NM designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the NM boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “NMZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in New Mexico unless there is a discrepancy. (use HinDecoder.com to validate your HIN formatting is good)
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In New Mexico
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) in NM. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com. This state also has bonding provisions for establishing boat titles without sufficient evidence of ownership.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
New Mexico Boat Title Search
Boat title and registration records in New Mexico are maintained by the Motor Vehicle Division. Boat records may be accessed online from their website but they are only available to boat owners or certain qualified parties. You will need your HIN and Zip code to lookup the status of your vessel title on their website.
New Mexico Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 68+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in New Mexico
- REQUIRED: YES (NMSA 66-12-5.2) EFFECTIVE DATE : 7/1/1987
- VESSEL TYPES: All motorboats over 10’, under 10’ is optional (NMSA 66-12-5.2)
- EXEMPTIONS: Any person who on July 1, 1987 is the owner of a boat with a valid certificate of number until he transfers any part of his interest in the boat, or renews his certificate of number. (NMSA 66-12-5.2 C)
- FEES: $10.00 fee for cert of title, transfer of title, duplicate title, and correction to a title.
- DUPLICATE FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE:
- VESSEL TYPES: Any vessel propelled by machinery or sail (NMSA 66-12-4)
- EXEMPTIONS: Documented Vessels, Government Vessels, foreign vessel, non-motorized vessels, sailboards, windsurf boards (NMSA 66-12-8, 66-12-3)
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: No
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 90 days (NMSA 66-12-8 A)
- FEES: 0-16’ = 28.50; 16’–26’ = 36.00; 26-40’ = 43.50; 40’-65’ = 51.00; 65’ and over 66.00. All are for 3 years and expire 12/31 of the last year. (NMAC 18.104.22.168)
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $5.00
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE:
- TRANSFER FEE: No fee
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in New Mexico
- boat title search NM
- New Mexico boat registration number lookup website
- boat title lien search service in New Mexico
- New Mexico boat title search by hull number
- check a boat’s title problems online
- find a boat registration search service in New Mexico
- find boat New Mexico titles from HIN Number
- free vessel registration title search for New Mexico
- how to check boat registration numbers In New Mexico
- vessel registration and HIN search in New Mexico
- Where are New Mexico Vessels Registered
- New Mexico Boat Registration Numbers
- Boat Liens Database In New Mexico
- Boat New Mexico Lookup
- Boat title and registration records in #NewMexico
- Boat Title Searches in NM
- boat vin check
- boat hin lookup
Read Related Articles:
- Official ‘Carfax for Boats’
- YouTube Boating Channels you MUST Follow (RANKED)
- Best Boating Forums – 20 Most Popular Boating Forums to Join
- Tennessee Boat Registration
- 3 Types of Boat Numbers & 3 HIN Formats (Compared)
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and search boat names visit: www.Boat-Alert.com