Mississippi Boat Registration
Mississippi Boat Registration History Report
Mississippi boat registration FAQs are found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Mississippi.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boat in Mississippi along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in MS.
Where are Mississippi Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Mississippi issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the MS State Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) which is located in Jackson. Titles are provided as an option for outboard motors. Registration is required for boat trailers in Mississippi.
Did you know that 120,000 boats registered in the State of Mississippi make up 1.1% of all USA vessel registrations?
Mississippi Boat Registration Numbers
Mississippi boat registration numbers begin with a “MI“. The MI designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the MS boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “MIZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Mississippi unless there is a discrepancy.
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Mississippi
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks in MS. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Mississippi Boat Registration Number Search Website
Boat title and registration records in Mississippi are maintained by the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website.
Mississippi Boat Registration Lookup
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 68+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Mississippi
- REQUIRED: No (Optional) EFFECTIVE DATE : 7/1/1998
- VESSEL TYPES: All boats and outboard motors
- EXEMPTIONS: Boat and outboard motor titling is available in Mississippi, but is not mandatory. Boat and motor titling is an optional choice for lending institutions and boat owners. A boat must be registered prior to being titled. If the title is submitted, indicating a lien, the original title will be sent to the lending institution until the lien is satisfied. Once the lien is satisfied, the lien holder will provide the original title to the owner. When a titled boat is sold, the owner must provide the original title to the purchaser as a bill of sale in order for the boat to be eligible for transfer of ownership. Boat and Motor title applications may be obtained online, through a lending institution, or the MDWFP Boat Registration Department.
- FEES: $12.70
- DUPLICATE FEE: $12.70
- TRANSFER FEE: $12.70
- VESSEL TYPES: Mississippi law requires all sailboats and every undocumented vessel equipped with propulsion machinery, using the territorial and navigable waters of the State of Mississippi to be registered and numbered for identification.
- EXEMPTIONS: Non-motorized vessels (excluding sailboats)
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: No
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: Vessels registered in another state may operate on Mississippi waters for 60 days before Mississippi registration and numbering is required.
- FEES: a) Less than 16 feet $10.20; b) 16 feet but less than 26 feet $25.20; c) 26 feet but less than 40 feet $47.70; d) 40 feet and over $47.70; e) Dealer Number $40.20
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: $7.70
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $7.70
- TRANSFER FEE: a) Less than 16 feet $10.20; b) 16 feet but less than 26 feet $25.20; c) 26 feet but less than 40 feet $47.70; d) 40 feet and over $47.70; e) Dealer Number $40.20
- LATE FEE: N/A
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Mississippi,
- Mississippi boat registration number lookup website,
- boat title lien search service in Mississippi
- Mississippi boat title search by hull number,
- check a boats title problems online,
- find a boat registration search service in Mississippi,
- find boat Mississippi titles from HIN Number,
- free vessel registration title search for Mississippi,
- how to check boat registration numbers In Mississippi,
- vessel registration and HIN search in Mississippi,
- Where are Mississippi Vessels Registered,
- Mississippi Boat Registration Numbers,
- Boat Liens Database In Mississippi,
- Boat Mississippi Lookup,
- Boat title and registration records in #Mississippi,
- Boat Title Searches in MS
Read Related Articles:
- Oregon Boat Registration
- Funny MEMES boaters need to see
- How to Register a Boat in Ontario | Vessel Licensing and Registration in Ontario
- How Do You Read a Hull ID Number (HIN)?
- Ask the Boat Dealer these 10 questions before you buy it
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and free boat history check visit: www.Boat-Alert.com