Louisiana Boat Registration
Louisiana Boat Registration History Report
Louisiana boat registration info is found below and can be downloaded as PDF. We have written this page to inform the boating community about registration requirements, recording methods, and title search guidelines for the State of Louisiana.
We will cover information about the Boat Registration Agency in this state and if you are wondering about Registration and marking requirements we have an overview of that as well. We also talk about Registration Requirements for boat in Louisiana along with things you need to know about boat Ownership and Liens so you can better perform Boat Title Searches or boat history lookups in LA.
Where are Louisiana Boats Registered?
Remember, some states have titling for boats and others do not. Louisiana issues both registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats operating within its jurisdiction. These are administered by the LA STATE Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) in Baton Rouge. Outboard motors are titled in Louisiana. Boat trailer registrations and titles are handled by the Division of Motor Vehicles so you could lookup the VIN of the trailer on vinalert.com potentially.
Did you know that boats registered in the State of Louisiana are more than 314,439. This is 2.6% of all USA vessel registrations?
Louisiana Boat Registration Numbers
Louisiana boat registration numbers begin with a “LA”. The LA designation is followed by four numbers and then two letters like in most states. You will have to display these as shown above if your boat is non-documented at the USCG. Put the LA boat registration sticker tab next to it. The state reg. number should not be confused with the 12 character Hull ID (HIN).
All boats manufactured after 1972 are required to have a 12 digit hull identification number affixed to the vessel by the manufacturer. State assigned hull numbers prefixed with the letters “LAZ” are available for home made boats and those without factory designations. Hull number inspections are not required in Louisiana unless there is a discrepancy.
Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay here.
Exceptionally, a Coast Guard documented vessel does not need to display the state registration number but instead they would display the state registration tabs, an owner designated vessel name, and a hailing port. The USCG Official documentation number must also be affixed on other location on the boat: interior location in the hull itself or an integral part of the hull.
Boat Liens Database In Louisiana
Security interests in state titled boats are recorded with the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries in LA. These will be shown on both the registration and title certificates if there are any. Security interests in boats that are neither titled or USCG documented are recorded with the Secretary of State as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings. If the vessel is USCG documented, a lender’s security interests will be recorded with the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) and are indexed on the boat’s abstract of title. This is different from state registration lookups and can be ordered at boat-abstract.com.
Tax liens may be flagged on boat registration records, recorded as UCC filings, shown on state revenue records, or filed with a county clerk’s office. There are no provisions for recording mechanic’s liens or other non-secured claims against state titled boats. Uniform Commercial Code searches are available online from the Secretary of State.
Louisiana Boat Registration Number Search Website
Boat title and registration records in Louisiana are maintained by the LDWF. This agency does not facilitate online searches on their website but you can renew online.
Louisiana Boat HIN Check and boat vin lookup in Louisiana
The Boat-Alert.com database combines 53+ nationwide databases into a single place so you can search in a matter of minutes. These include records for stolen boats, marine lien claims, boating accidents, pollution incidents, auctioned boats, factory recalls, and boat manufacturers.
Titling & Registration Requirements in Louisiana
- REQUIRED: Optional, unless it was previously titled or will have a lien holder. EFFECTIVE DATE : 8/1/2009
- VESSEL TYPES: If previously titled, the title MUST be surrendered at the time of registration and a new title will be issued. If title is held by a lien holder, it must be surrendered and a new title will be issued.
- EXEMPTIONS: Optional (see title requirements)
- FEES: New title fee-$26.00 (plus $10.00 if adding a lien holder)
- DUPLICATE FEE: Duplicate title fee $23.00
- TRANSFER FEE: Title transfer fee $26.00 (plus $10.00 if adding a lien holder)
- VESSEL TYPES: All motorized vessels and any non-motorized houseboats.
- EXEMPTIONS: All non-motorized vessels (except a non-motorized houseboat); A motorboats/sailboat documented with the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), unless it is a recreational-use vessel.
- USCG DOCUMENTED VESSELS REQUIRED: Yes (recreational only)
- NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION REQUIRED: 90 days.
- FEES: Fees: Motorized Vessels; 14’ or less $32.00; 14’1” – 17’11” $37.00; 18’0” $42.00; 18’1” – 19’0” $44.00; For each foot thereafter, add $2.00 per foot.; Fees: Non-Motorized Houseboats; 14’ or less $23.00; 14’1” – 17’11” $28.00; 18’0” $33.00; 18’1” – 19’0” $35.00; For each foot thereafter, add $2.00 per foot.
- DUPLICATE REGISTRATION FEE: 8
- DUPLICATE DECAL FEE: $13
- TRANSFER FEE: $8 plus registration fee
- LATE FEE: No
Incoming Search Words:
- boat HIN search title report in Louisiana,
- Louisiana boat registration number lookup website,
- boat title lien search service in Louisiana
- Louisiana boat title search by hull number,
- check a boats title problems online,
- find a boat registration search service in Louisiana,
- find boat Louisiana titles from HIN Number,
- free vessel registration title search for Louisiana,
- how to check boat registration numbers In Louisiana,
- vessel registration and HIN search in Louisiana,
- Where are Louisiana Vessels Registered,
- Louisiana Boat Registration Numbers,
- Boat Liens Database In Louisiana,
- Boat Louisiana Lookup,
- Boat title and registration records in Louisiana,
- Boat Title Searches in LA
Read Related Articles:
- How to Prepare Your Boat for Spring Boating Season | De-winterizing Checklist | Spring Commissioning your Vessel
- How to Register a Boat in New Brunswick | Vessel Licensing and Registration in New Brunswick
- Cabin Cruiser Boat Overview
- Arkansas Boat Registration
- West Virginia Boat Registration
#BoatVINCheck #BoatTitle #Registration #BoatFees #BoatHistory #BoatAlert #BoatLien #OMVC #DNR #StolenBoat #DMV #BMV #BoatHINLookup
Categories:To learn more about Boat-Alert.com History Reports for used boats and boat vin number lookup visit: www.Boat-Alert.com